Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Sunday, August 13, 2023

Friends Who Stand The Test of Time Are Priceless

By Rich Kozlovich

For the long time readers of P&D it's known I was an exterminator for 40 years, and I owned a pest control company for 30 of them.  I was also heavily involved in the affairs of my industry through our trade associations defending those who are pesticide and fertilizer users, along with manufacturers and sellers of those products in Ohio.   

A good friend, who was the CEO of a pesticide distribution company, once told me the real benefit for me being an active member of our trade organizations was, I “prevented other people from being talked about!”  It appears I’m amazingly good at that, and with almost no effort on my part.  

Heterodoxy isn't for the faint of heart, and for decades I was the heterodox to the structural pest control industry in defense of pesticides, especially DDT, and challenged all the health concerns and lies perpetrated by environmentalists    Even in an industry that's so intrinsically involved with pesticides, that offended a lot of people in our industry, including those involved in selling products to the industry. I viewed that as a betrayal to the nation, and said so. 

But, that's no big deal, since offending people seems to be my stock in trade since over the course of my life I’ve managed to offend an inordinate number of people. I seem to have a genetic propensity for it.  Some were offended the minute they met me, which always confused me.  I didn’t mind so much being scorned, I just thought they should allow me the opportunity to be obnoxious before rendering their judgement and receiving their contempt. 

As a result, no matter what I achieved (and those who were my friends, or at least fair minded, felt I achieved a lot) it was never quite as good as what others had not achieved.  Many of whom were lauded and ended up receiving awards for their lack of achievement.  Ya just gotta see the humor in that.

While I’ve just chuckled, shook my head, and rolled my eyes, I have to admit, I always thought that was remarkable how people are so easily gulled.   However, it’s not inexplicable.  It’s been my experience that very often prominent people are only good at being prominent, and that especially applies to the go along to get along people, who are often rewarded for not getting anything done other than going along to get along. 

Often times getting things done means having to fix things, and usually that requires change.  People hate change, especially since they view those changes as a condemnation of what they’ve been doing, irrespective of their failures.  And they really don’t like those who promote that change.   

I've manage to fit very nicely in that group.   

Definition leads to clarity, and unfortunately people fail to, or refuse to, define things properly, and resent anyone who can, especially when that definition is in opposition to their preconceived, or failed notions. 

The world's leaders, government and industry, are made up of Winston Churchills, Neville Chamberlains, and Vidkun Quislings.  The Neville Chamberlain types are always finding a third way to get along and go along.   Everyone likes them, everyone applauds them and everyone hates the Winston Churchill types who are always difficult, always demanding, always insisting there’s only one right way, and insist everyone recognize the right way, which of course is their way.   Finally, there are the Quislings of the world who will betray everyone for their own benefit. 

But when the Chamberlains foul up everything who do they turn to?  The Winston Churchills of the world.  Of course, once they’ve fixed the mess the Chamberlains created, people can’t wait to kick them to the curbWhy?  Because ... they ... just.... won’t .... go.... along ... to ... get ... along.    That’s people, and people will always be people.   

Finally, there are the traitors like Vidkun Quisling, who was shot after WWII.   However, that type is very often rewarded for their betrayal, and we’re seeing a lot of that going on right now in the Deep State bureaucracies. 

I’ve lost decades long friends over my views.  It was their choice.  I've been scorned by prominent people with big egos, bad attitudes, endured back biters and whisperers in what can only be called character assassination, criticized for my articles by small minds over my positions, and accused of making false statements.  When that happens, I always demand that they name one, just one.  I get crickets.  I’ve openly challenged anyone from my industry, irrespective of position or education, to publicly debate me.  Crickets, it never happened.

I'm retired now, and I no longer interact officially with my former industry, and the folly the "leaders" of the industry foists on the membership.  But I wouldn't have missed all that controversy for a million dollars.  It was worth every minute of it!  Why?  Because I’m left with a few exceptionally good friends who’ve stood the test of time.   

And that’s priceless!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment