Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Unending Quest

By Rich Kozlovich

Over these many years I have noticed a pattern of activity that I find sort of fascinating. Scares will ebb and flow, but never really go away. Even after an issue has been raised and dealt with it's clear activists keep these issues on the back burner for future reference, as if everyone will forget what the facts actually were. And to some extent they're right, because there will always be a new crop of young misinformed and uninformed potential acolytes they can gull into the green movement.  Young people in search of some sense of worth.  Searching for something in which they can believe.  Clearly a failure of religion in America today.

As a result, environmentalism has become today’s secular religion, thus, they are susceptible to the Kyrie Eleison of environmentalism. Drinking the Kool Aid they soon become sickened breathing in the fumes from the fever swamps of that movement.  It fills them with arrogance and a sense of self-righteous indignation at the rest of the world that no amount of valid scientific information or rational observation can cure.

I keep hearing all sorts of claims by activists and government grant chasing “scientists” that chemicals (especially pesticides) cause cancer, autism, low sperm count and a host of other unproven scares. This has been particularly true of DDT. More outrageous claims have been made against DDT than almost any product that has ever been developed, with the possible exception of bisphenol A (BPA) and phthalates. Do chemicals really cause a drop in sperm count? Finally we can answer with a resounding NO!

In 2007 the American Council on Science and Health cited a study  that clearly demonstrated that:

 “the 1992 study by a group of Danish researchers that claimed sperm counts declined by 50 percent worldwide from 1938 to 1991”, was wrong! They point out that the study was “heavily criticized for its many flaws, methodological problems, and biases” at the time. “We know that the so-called decline in sperm count is just another myth promulgated by the ‘our stolen future’ crowd who say that environmental chemicals lead to infertility in men,” says ACSH's Dr. Gilbert Ross. “But now we have proof that’s simply not true.”

* In Update on Sperm, Data Show No Decline

This leads us to DDT, which was banned by the first administrator of the EPA, Bill Ruckelshaus in 1972. And yes….it was a ban. It is true that there were exceptions written into the ban, and yes, it is true that this ban in the U.S. was not incumbent on other nations, and yes it is true that it was not a worldwide ban…..on paper. However, so much economic pressure was placed on countries that didn’t ban it outright that it became a de facto ban in all but a few nations.

Lower sperm count was one of the claims, and yet the generation of parents who were most heavily exposed to DDT were the parents of the baby boomers. Even if there was a valid study that could show this today (which there isn’t), that study wasn’t available when the ban was imposed.

Most studies are filled with weasel word and phrases. Then there are the “conclusions in search of data” studies, much like the Hungarian studies of Trajan and Kemeny published in 1969. Using only 3 ppm in the food per day this dose was fed to five generations of inbred Balb/c mice. They claimed a higher incidence of leukemia in the test subjects over the control animals. They also claimed they started with a leukemia free strain, yet there were incidents of leukemia in the controls.

So what was disturbing about this study? Other researchers working with comparable dosages with animals of any species or strain showed no incidences of cancer of any type. The skepticism warranted an investigation into this puzzle.

Although everyone agreed something went wrong in their study they couldn’t definitely point out what went wrong.  However it was shown that there were design problems in the study and there was a possibility of aflatoxin (an absolutely known carcinogen) contaminated food.

Modern studies seem to have much the same problem. Conclusions in search of data! The question I keep asking is this. If DDT was banned for scientific reasons that were obvious, factual and could be replicated; then why have they been studying it since 1972 to prove that it does________(fill in the blank).

Millions have been spent on studies that have been conclusions in search of data. The mere fact that so much has been spent after the ban to prove that the ban was proper is a good indicator that everyone….and I mean everyone, on both sides of this issue, know that the science was weak or invalid, and the decision to ban DDT was a political one.

The real problem with the ban on DDT isn't the fact that we lost DDT. Why? Technically it didn’t matter (at least in the developed world) because we had a large arsenal of products to defend society’s health, food and property.

Philosophically it was devastating because it became the basis for all that has come into being since then. All those tools have come under attack, and as a result we have lost important chemistry. First it was the chlorinated hydrocarbons, then it was the organophosphates and carbamates and now the pyrethroids and rodenticides are under attack. All of this goes back to the ban on DDT. That ban laid the foundation for the financial and legislative power of the environmental movement. The ban on DDT needs to be overturned for that reason alone.

35 comments:

  1. Greetings! Very useful advice within this post! It's the little changes which will make
    the most important changes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day! I simply would like to give you a big thumbs up for the great info you have right
    here on this post. I am coming back to your blog for more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics discussed in this
    article? I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get advice from other experienced individuals that share the same interest.
    If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is very open with a really clear explanation of the issues.
    It was truly informative. Your site is very useful. Thank you
    for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding quest there. What happened after? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this post is nice, my younger sister is analyzing such things, therefore I am going to tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, this was a really good post. Taking the time and actual
    effort to generate a really good article… but what can I
    say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never seem to get nearly anything done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visit everyday a few blogs and sites to read content, except this weblog presents feature based posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family every time say that I am wasting my time here at web, but I
    know I am getting know-how all the time by reading such good articles or reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your way of telling the whole thing in this post is genuinely pleasant,
    all be capable of simply be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Estaba buscando esta aclaracion hace mucho duración en internet y no la encontraba.
    Estoy de concierto con lo que indicas. Gracias es un gran aporte.
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. of course like your website but you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts.

    A number of them are rife with spelling issues
    and I to find it very troublesome to tell the
    truth however I will certainly come again again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking
    more of your fantastic post. Also, I've shared your website in my
    social networks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I blog quite often and I truly thank you for your information.
    The article has really peaked my interest. I am going
    to bookmark your website and keep checking for new information about once
    per week. I subscribed to your Feed too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My brother recommended I may like this web site. He was totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You cann't imagine
    just how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am regular reader, how are you everybody?
    This article posted at this website is truly good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post.
    Also, I've shared your web site in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You could certainly see your expertise within the article you write.

    The arena hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid
    to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this
    write-up and the rest of the site is extremely good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. bookmarked!!, I love your website!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Greetings, I noticed your site by way of utilisation from Bing and google although looking for
    a comparable area of interest, your web site developed, it appears pretty decent.
    I’ve saved to fav them inside my yahoo favorite bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You can certainly see your enthusiasm within the work you write.

    The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you
    who aren't afraid to mention how they believe.
    All the time go after your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there it's me, I am also visiting this website on a regular basis, this web page is actually pleasant and the users are truly sharing good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Estaba buscando esta asesoria hace mucho duración en internet
    y no la encontraba. Estoy de acuerdo con lo que indicas.
    Muchas gracias es un gran aporte. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A person necessarily lend a hand to make significantly posts I'd state.
    That is the very first time I frequented your website page and to this
    point? I amazed with the research you made to make this particular submit incredible.

    Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your way of telling all in this article is truly fastidious, all can effortlessly know it, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would rdally make my blog juhmp out.
    Please let me know where you got your theme.

    Bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just part of Blogger with the adaptations they allow.

      Delete
  28. I have learn some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how so much effort you place to make one of these fantastic informative website.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I'm not sure whether
    this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about
    my difficulty. You are amazing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're so interesting! I don't think I've truly read
    through a single thing like this before. So good to find someone with genuine thoughts on this
    issue. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up.
    This site is one thing that is required on the web, someone with some originality!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Excellent web site you have here.. It's difficսlt to find exhellent ԝriting like yours
    thwѕe days. I truly appreciɑte people liкe you! Tɑke care!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Apρreciating the time annd energy you put intο your site and detailed
    infoгmation you present. It's ɑwesome to come acrosѕ a bloɡ ebery once in a while that isn't the same old rehashed information. Ϝantastic read!

    I've boⲟkmarked your site and I'm including yⲟur ᏒSS feeds to
    my Googⅼe aϲcоunt.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello therе! This post couldn't be wгitten any betteг!

    Reading through thіs post reminds me of my old room mate!
    He always keρ chatting about this. I ԝill foгward this write-up
    to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks
    ffor sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous
    to and you are just too great. I really like what you've acquired
    here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say
    it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible.
    I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a
    great site.

    ReplyDelete