Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Friday, April 5, 2019

Fake Academe: Fined $ 50.1 Million

Kip Hansen April 4, 2019

News Flash: “U.S. judge rules deceptive publisher should pay $50 million in damages”.

Appearing yesterday in Science magazine online is the news that “A U.S. federal judge has ordered the OMICS International publishing group to pay $50.1 million in damages for deceiving thousands of authors who published in its journals and attended its conferences. It’s one of the first rulings of its kind against one of the largest publishers accused of so-called predatory tactics.” [source: all italicized quoted text from Science mag ]

The OMICS group featured large in Jeffery Beall’s original list of “predatory open access publishing” in 2008.
“Judge Gloria Navarro of the U.S. District Court in Las Vegas, Nevada, granted summary judgment without a trial, accepting as uncontroverted a set of allegations made in 2016 by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in Washington, D.C., in its capacity as a consumer watchdog. The ruling also bars OMICS from similar future conduct.”

OMICS and the many sub-groups of its 700 or so online journals, was found guilty of:
  • FAKE PEER REVIEW: “OMICS, which publishes about 700 journals in scientific and other fields, advertised deceptively that it provided authors with rigorous peer review overseen by editorial boards. Instead, its journals approved many articles for publication in a matter of days with no substantive feedback to authors, FTC alleged. The judge relied in part on the findings of an investigation published by Science in 2013; its author, journalist John Bohannon, submitted a deposition to the court. Of 69,000 manuscripts published by OMICS from 2011 to 2017, the publisher provided evidence that only half had been sent out for peer review.”
  • PAY TO PUBLISH: “Despite this lack of actual peer review, OMICS’s solicitations to authors didn’t make it clear enough that it would charge them to publish articles in its open-access journals. Some authors complained and asked OMICS to withdraw their articles, but OMICS refused, preventing authors from submitting them to other publications.”
  • FAKE LIST OF REVIEWERS: “OMICS advertised its 50,000 reviewers as experts, but some never agreed to serve, and OMICS continued to publicly list some scientists as reviewers even after they asked to be removed.”
  • FALSIFIED IT OWN IMPACT: “The publisher advertised that its journals had high impact factors, a measure of their editorial quality. But it didn’t sufficiently reveal that OMICS itself generated its own “unofficial impact factor” for some of its journals based on citations in Google Scholar. OMICS also incorrectly stated that its journals are indexed in the U.S. National Library of Medicine’s Medline and PubMedCentral.”
  • HELD FAKED CONFERENCES: “OMICS organized scholarly conferences and advertised that prominent academics would attend. But a sampling of 100 conferences indicated that 60% named organizers or participants who had not agreed to serve in that capacity.”
[source: all italicized quoted text from Science mag ]
The depth of this fake journal problem is hard to convey — but the amount of the fine ought to give you some idea...........To Read More....

18 comments:

  1. Rattling clean website, thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I am so grateful I found your blog page, I really found you by error,
    while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I am here now
    and would just like to say thank you for a tremendous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don't have time to read through it all at the moment but I have
    bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more,
    Please do keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I do believe this is an excellent site.
    I stumbledupon it ;) I will come back once again since I saved as a favorite it.
    Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and
    continue to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every weekend i used to go to see this site, for the reason that i wish for
    enjoyment, for the reason that this this web site conations genuinely fastidious funny stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this piece of writing is good, my younger sister is analyzing these things, thus I
    am going to convey her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to find this page. I wanted to thank you for ones time for this wonderful read!!
    I definitely really liked every little bit of it and i also have you book-marked to
    look at new stuff on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I blog quite often and I truly appreciate your content.

    Your article has really peaked my interest. I am going to book mark your site and
    keep checking for new details about once per week.

    I subscribed to your Feed too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Appreciating the dedication you put into your site and in depth
    information you offer. It's good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same out of date rehashed information. Excellent read!
    I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to
    my Google account.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Top-notch info it is definitely. My girlfriend has been awaiting
    for this content.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this web site holds some really good information for everyone :D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.

    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic
    post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this post
    and the rest of the website is also really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing with us, I believe this website genuinely stands out :
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came
    to look it over. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm
    book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

    Exceptional blog and fantastic style and design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Generally I do not learn post on blogs,
    but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out
    and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite
    nice article.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your style is so unique in comparison to other folks I have read stuff from.
    Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this
    site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post will assist the internet people for setting up new website
    or even a blog from start to end.

    ReplyDelete